Sunday, April 29, 2012

Red Badge of Courage

"What is that distinctive trill I keep hearing from over in that ditch?" I wondered every time I took my five year old daughter to gymnastics.  After some investigation, I discovered that it was a male red winged blackbird, which I had never been aware of in forty years on this earth (along with how good cashews are, which is another story altogether).  I love its call, and whenever I hear it for some reason, it brings me a sense of divine spirit. Its bright red and gold epaulet against shiny black feathers is so striking, easily spotted in meadows and among cattails around the outskirts of Noblesville.  So he is also my little soldier and represents courage and hope.  Look for him; he's everywhere.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a coinkidink !! I saw one of these yesterday while jogging in Virginia, and thought to myself, "what kind of bird is that ?" Now I know I'm in need of some courage and hope ! What a great painting ! Thanks !

    ReplyDelete